Galvanizing is the process of applying a protective zinc coating to steel or iron. It prevents rusting, and it also gives an attractive finish. Hot dip galvanizing is the most common kind of galvanizing; it’s also known as “wet dipping”. Hot dipped galvanized coatings are usually thicker than zinc flake coatings, and they’re usually applied with a roller on horizontal surfaces, rather than by spraying. As you can imagine, hot dipped galvanizing takes much longer to complete; in addition to this process being more expensive, it’s also not free from environmental pollution issues. However, zinc flake coatings have many outstanding features, such as their excellent adhesion to certain substrates and their ability to provide corrosion protection without affecting the performance of the base metal.
Hot Dip Galvanizing Fasteners And Its Short-comings
- Hot-dip galvanizing is a process that can solve the problems arising with stainless steel fasteners.
- The short-comings are the sizing and tolerance which are often causing an assembly issue at the site
- Also aesthetically hot-dip galvanized fasteners aren’t very good, which can make the structure unsightly.
Zinc Flake Coating Fasteners- The Perfect Solution
- Zinc flake coating of fasteners have a coating thickness of 12-15 microns and even with a lesser coating thickness than hot-dip galvanized (50-60 microns) can withstand corrosion for 20+ years and 1500+ hrs of sst life.
- They are aesthetically much better than hot-dip galvanized fasteners and also match the shade of the galvanized structures which are bolted using them
- The zinc coating ensures no dissimilar metal corrosion as in the case of stainless steel fasteners and also hard water resistance
- Zinc flake coating does not involve any acidic pretreatment hence it does not cause hydrogen embrittlement.
- Cost Benefits – almost half the price of stainless steel and slightly cheaper than hot-dip galvanized fasteners if we consider the under-sizing and special preparation required not to mention the 5% replacement costs as well on-site due to fitment issues
Due to these reasons, there is a major shift towards zinc flake coating of fasteners instead of hot dip galvanizing them. If you are looking for zinc flake coating suppliers, then you do not need to look far! Hylite group is one of the top metal finishing service providers. We pride in providing high-quality services such that fulfills all requirements. Get in touch to learn more about our services and sectors we serve.